Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Leftover 2008 Drivel

After some thought there are a bunch of things leftover from previous blogs in 2008:


I forgot to add "The Princess Bride" to my list of favorite movies. How could I forget this??? I repeatedly say "Have fun storming the castle" to people in place of "Goodbye". There are so many memorable moments and lines from this movie that they are too many to mention. Anyway, my apologies to Rob Reiner for forgetting him on my list.


There wasn't one favorite movie from 2008. None stood out in my mind. A generally bad year for good stories. Too many "blockbusters' without any substance to the films.


Favorite "found" music from 2008: You can't call the stuff I listen to new so my category is to call it found music. This years favorite was some blues from Keb Mo. He is a bit commercial but it made for interesting listening. Honorable mention: The Pousette-Dart Band from the 1970's.


Favorite read from 2008: "A History of the Catholic Church: The Early Years". I can't say it was an enjoyable read, but it was informative. I'll keep my opinions about the politics of the times and their impact on the formation of the Church to myself. Ask me sometime and I might be willing to discuss it.


My apologies to the unknown reader from LA. Apparently the Orange County Fair is big and the wine judging is a major event in California. This would then make the label on the Arger-Martucci Merlot a little more impressive. I still haven't opened the two bottles we bought there. I'm waiting for a good dinner night at home.


I know it's not technically a 2008 blog however the pastry puffs from Memere's cream puff recipe is called a "choux". I'd rather put it here when I can remember it. The puff should be either cut on the bottom or a hole made to clean out a small portion of the puff to allow the custard to fill it.


Making gnocchi is still a pain in the A@! and it won't be changing any time soon.


Best cigar of 2008: Arturo Fuente Don Carlo's. A really nice, enjoyable smoke. My apologies to the Ashton people. Ashton comes in a close second. It's winter and I'm really missing my weekly cigar.

Restaurant: In one of the blogs I mentioned we had heard the quality at the Silver Maple, our favorite Chinese restaurant, had gone down hill. We visited before the holidays and it was just as good as I remember. Our friends may have hit them on a bad night. The Mai Tai's were great and Sarah mentioned the vegetarian platter was very good even though the tofu was on the soft side. On a side note, our favorite waiter Dave was no where to be found. He was always a cheery welcoming sight there.

I hope I didn't miss anything else. Have a joyous 2009!

2 comments:

Jason said...

Young @ Heart was a great movie! I think you just forgot.

fuzzy old guy said...

We saw that one in December of 2007.