Tuesday, April 28, 2009

@!#%%%% Potato Pasta Disaster

If any of you faithful readers have followed this blog for any length of time then you know the story of the great blackout of 2008. I spent about three hours before the power went out making gnocci for the first time. Well, I finally got around to cooking the little !@$!#!# turds and they were absolutely horrible. Either because of my leaving them too long in the ice water after initial cooking or because they absorbed water when thawing or just because the little !@$ turds didn't like me, they were a complete disaster. They were so water logged and mushy that they were completely inedible. Never again. They're just too difficult to make.

On the positive side, the rest of the meal went well. I made a pork cutlet dinner in a mushroom sauce that was great and I paired it with fresh green beans and braised fennel. We drank too much wine though, about 4 bottles among 4 people. It was the old standbys, nothing special for wine. One Hess cabernet, one Q cabernet, A Beringer Pinot Noir and a Puiley Fuissey (SP?) white burgundy. All of them great everyday inexpensive wines.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This doesn't related to your potato pasta disaster, but I read about this device and thought I'd forward it along to you....

It supposedly helps tomato plants grow strong: http://lifehacker.com/5272867/tormato-stabilizes-and-feeds-your-tomato-plants