Wednesday, July 30, 2008

All About Nothing

I look forward to this week each year as if it were my one shot at heaven. For the third year in a row we've rented a house in North Truro (Cape Cod) for a weeks vacation. The best part of this vacation is the chance to sit and do absolutely nothing. Everyone else went kayaking or into town while I stayed here and read a book (Robert Penn Warren's "All The Kings Men"). It was very recuperative (chillable? restive? cool? sleepy?). I need one of these do nothing vacations every year just so I can get through another year of work.

This vacation has allowed me to catch up on almost all of my reading. Book one during the start of vacation was Phillip Roth's " Exit Ghost". I love books that create intense character studies of people that immerse you in the heads of the characters and Roth is one of the best at making you live the character. I wouldn't however put this one at the top of his creations. It is a continuation of a character that has appeared in many of his books as he has grown older as a writer. They are, to some extent, an autobiography of his life, or at the least a self examination of his experiences. Although I enjoyed the read, it was tough. I find it increasingly difficult to read stories about older characters examining their past and trying to reconcile their decreased functionality as they have aged. Ok, it's a bummer getting old. Trust me, I get it.

Book two on the vacation reading list was John Updike's "The Centaur". A very interesting look at a father and son relationship with allegorical chapters comparing the father to a mythical Greek centaur. It was a literary read (better described as you have to stick with it to enjoy it). Another look at age related self examination.

Book three is the previously mentioned "All The King's Men". As I get older my view of politics gets increasingly more radical. Although taking place in the depression years, this one tells me that when it comes to politics we have learned nothing over the years. We have only traded in local machine politics for the politics of big business.

Enough of the summer reading material. Let's talk about the important stuff: Food. Since this is our third summer vacation near P-town, we've now had the chance to start developing a taste for the local restaurant scene. The best so far is The Mews (as in a cat's meow, not as in the Greek muse or inspiration). Although expensive, the food is always great and leaves me talking about everyone's food, not just mine. I had the special (chili dusted scallops skewered on sugar cane, with corn puree, Moroccan couscous, leeks and a light pesto/lime aoli). I would have never pictured these ingredients working together but the chili powder was just subtle enough to offset the sweetness of the other ingredients. Outstanding. The other meals around the table were:

Roast duck breast with shrimp and sushi rice cake in a coffee molasses demi-glace (the coffee taste was barely discernible but the sauce was excellent)

Roast duck with mashed potatoes and asparagus (nicely crispy skin)

Falafel (could have been better)

Crimini mushroom ravioli with sundried tomatoes and golden raisins (good)

Appetizers: mushroom strudel, crab cakes (Spicy remoulade) and blue marlin carpacio (lots of garlic: excellent)

Sarah and Jay will be eating lunch today at the South African restaurant so maybe we'll have to call in guest reviewer for next week. From the sunny shores of Cape Cod......Ahhhh.......

No comments: