Sunday, July 13, 2008

Going straight to hell

It seems that as I get older, all of my preconceived notions and beliefs change. We missed church this morning, formerly the sure road to hell. Our grand niece Kayla has been here this week, attending her annual two week period at the summer camp put on by the town. She is a great kid, but she requires constant attention. The girl is relentless in pursuing the things she wants to do, and very persistent that we do them with her. She is a great introduction to grand parenthood prior to having a grandchild of our own (no pressure here kids). Kayla hasn't spent a lot of time at church, so although we thought it might be a good experience for her, our common sense prevailed and we decided an hour of her fidgeting in church just wasn't worth it. When the wife asked me if I was going to church (by myself) my immediate reply was " No, I want to be in the same hell that you're in."

Of course she laughed, not because we were both going to hell for missing church, but because this is one of those things that we say to each other when we do those things we were raised to believe would send us to the nether world. Don't ask me to list them, it's just too long a list. It includes everything from eating meat on Friday (accidentally of course) to looking at another woman cross eyed (honey, I would never do that). It started one of those brain rushes about heaven and hell, God and the devil, and the existential nature of religion in general (whew, ain't that a mouthful of BS). Regardless of what my upbringing keeps whispering to me, any heaven where I can't remember my past life or can't exist with those people I've grown to love, just isn't a heaven worth living in. So, for today at least, if she's going to hell for missing church, I want to go to her hell too.

No comments: