Thursday, July 10, 2008

Could someone please hand me a tissue?

There's nothing more miserable than a summer cold. I don't remember the last time I had one, but it must have been pretty miserable becasue I remeber being miserable. Maybe it's just that men in general are whiners when they're sick. I've been trying to remember the wife when she's been sick with a cold, but I can't. That's because when she's sick, she's silently sick. Me, I need to let everyone know that I'm sick.

The first phase is the " I think I'm coming down with something" phase. This one lasts a minimum of two days, and sometimes can last a week. Most of the time it never leaves this step, it's just a prolonged, low level whine. Then there's stage two which is the " I've got a sore throat" phase. It could be we just need a drink of water, yet there we are predicting doom and gloom. I swear, I can predict the effect of a good whine causing the sore throat.

The real whining starts when the nose gets going. There is nothing worse than spending every waking hour sniffling (except maybe passing a kidney stone or giving birth). It's bad enough in the winter when you really don't have a whole lot to do anyway, but in the summer time it's ninety degrees and who wants to sniffle when it's ninety degrees out. It's just not right. The only redeeming quality for a man with a cold is it's a good excuse to lay on the couch all day and watch TV. Maybe that's wht we go into phase one so often.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I can verify all of this.

the wife